Friday, October 2, 2009

Birthday Dinosaurs

When we walk today we talk about his friend Katie's upcoming birthday party. "What do you think she would like as a present?" I ask.

Contemplation from his end. Then:

"A dinosaur!!" he says, and jumps in the air as the idea comes to him, still holding onto my hand as it pumps and waggles up and down, attached to his.

I decide, against my better judgment, to enter into a debate on this one.

"Are you sure she would like that? What about a doll or something?" I'm a little sorry about reinforcing girl and boy stereotypes, but figure it helps my argument, so let it go.

"No way, mom. Girls like dinosaurs, Mom, sometimes they really do like them."

"What kind of dinosaur?"

"I think a T-Rex, a REALLY BIG ONE! She don't like little dinosaurs." (We're working on the verb tenses still...)

"Is it a mommy dinosaur or a baby one?"

"It's a mommy one, a big mommy one."

And with this point, he looks ahead very satisfied and I follow, deciding he'd won. Maybe they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment