Today, every parent's perennial fear: I was tested to the point of not knowing the answers this morning, and it sent me to Wikipedia immediately upon dropping Ian at school.
What did I not know the answer to? I did not know the name of the little blue car, who was Lightning's girlfriend in Radiator Springs, in the movie Cars. He was carrying her in his pocket on the way to school and planned to show all his friends, and I didn't know her name.
I also did not know the name of the blue car with the big fins who always wins the races. You know, Mom, the Dinoco guy. Wasn't that his name, I thought, "Dinoco Guy?" (I'd never make it in Hollywood.)
I also did not know the name of the police car, though I thought I did, commencing a small argument between Ian and I as to whether or not his name was Doc. I was sure it was Doc. He was sure Doc was the name of the green car in the opening race, which I was sure was Chick something or other.
Having had the movie on so many times at home, I was mildly concerned by the lack of attention I seemed to have been paying. But thankfully, Wikipedia has helped me fill in the gaps, and then some:
Lightning's girlfriend was named Sally Carrera, a royal blue 2002 Porsche 911 Carrera. Little Known Facts: Aside from being the town's lawyer, Sally also runs the Cozy Cone Motel, and she and Lightning later opened the Wheel Well Motel (when was this happening?). In the UK cars magazine Top Gear, Sally was named one of the top 10 sexiest cars in the World. California license plate 301PCE.
The car with the blue fins who always wins the races was - ah, of course! - Strip "The King" Weathers. Little Known Facts: The King's car is based on NASCAR veteran Richard Petty's 1970 Plymouth Superbird, and also bears Richard Petty's number 43. The voice is also done by none other than Richard Petty.
Then, I'm thinking, who was "Doc?" He was not the green car in the opening race, who was called Chick Hicks (Ah-HA!), but he was also not the cop, who seems to have just been called "Sheriff" (that's the best they could come up with?).
In a section of the Wikipedia entry for Cars called "Radiator Springs Populace", I read that Doc is currently a doctor (apparently a doctor of internal combustion) as well as the town's judge as well as a washed up racer from old Piston Cup Days. Little Known Facts: Doc holds the record for most wins in a single season- 27 in 1952. His car is based on the real Hudson Hornet driven by NASCAR racers Herb Thomas and Marshall Teague. And the voice is done by Paul Newman (I didn't know this, but I'm probably the only one.)
As the wealth of factoids goes on and on... I scroll around and look for some bits on my favorite character, Luigi ("Luigi follow only the Ferraris"):
His Voice: Tony Shaloub
His Car: 1959 Fiat 500 ragtop
His Moment: When a real-life Ferrari comes into his shop, voice done by Formula 1 star Michael Schumacher (really!?)
His License Plate: 445-108, which is the latitude and longitude of the Ferrari factory in Modena, Italy
Man, this movie is deep. Ker-chow!
How many things we lose due to the translation into spanish fact!, and what a wonderful source Wikipedia is for a missed father.
ReplyDeleteNevertheless, questions and answers from children are the same whatever the language is.
Melissa, go on with this, we will try to follow you post on this blog.
Wellcome to the "blogsphere".
ReplyDeleteI posted a link in my blog