We head out, Ian handing me a small plastic tiger that he instructs me to keep in my pocket. I do so. He's carrying a large plastic tiger and he keeps it out, hopping it through the door frame of our apartment, into the elevator, out onto the sidewalk with an energetic pounce. I'm hoping he's not expecting the same out of my small one. My imagination leaves a little to be desired when there are witnesses around.
"Mom, you have a baby tiger and I have a mommy one."
He continues: "But mommy tigers don't eat their babies or the babies would cry."
Wha? My mind races: where did I do or say something that would make him think about mothers eating their babies and babies crying? What is he going to tell his teacher? Honestly, I'm still ruminating on this question as I write this hours later. To do at home: search all books, videos, TV programming for content about mothers eating babies. It can't possibly have come from me.
No comments:
Post a Comment