It often amazes me how impressed kids are by things. When Ian and I walked to school this morning, it was through an unseasonably warm morning with stiff gusts of wind and pelting sprinkles. But for Ian, you would have thought it was the Gale farm in Kansas, headed for Oz.
"HOLY COW, Mom, that church is going to blow away!!" he screams through the wind.
"HOLY COW, Mom, that car is about to fly - look!!"
"HOLY COW, Mom, I'm going to blow away, Mom, watch out! Here, hold my hand!"
I never noticed his fluency with "Holy Cow" until this morning. My influence, unfortunately, but I guess there are worse things he could be saying. I just continued on with my miniature Judy Garland and thanked God he wasn't saying "HOLY SHIT, Mom!" or "JESUS CHRIST, this is a big wind, Mom!" Can you imagine?
A few more Holy Cows later, we're at school, Ian grunting and shoving his way up the front stoop of the school and muscling in through the wind-whipped door. As soon as we get inside, he hands me his umbrella, which he has been fighting with against the wind during the whole walk. He sits on the first step of the marble flight leading upstairs to his classroom.
"Mom, my arm needs to go to sleep. It's tired."
"Just your arm?"
"Yeah, just my arm. Can you tell my teacher? I don't think I can do school today."
Holy Cow.
Ha, ha, ha! Too funny. And you're right, "Holy Cow" is way better. Boy, I sure hope his arm healed enough for him to stay at school. :o)
ReplyDelete