Ian's love interest, Rebecca, also has a little friend named Leslie. Leslie and Rebecca are always joined at the hip. Ian is frequently annoyed by this inconvenience. He ruminates on the subject as we walk through the park this morning.
"Mom? Leslie and Rebecca always want to play with dolls. Playing with dolls is boring."
"Well, Ian, they're girls. Girls like dolls."
"Yeah, but why don't they like cars, too?"
"I don't know. Some girls just don't like cars."
Ian is ham-fisting a collection of matchbox cars that he's toting to school.
"Mom, I brought a car for myself and a car for Rebecca. I'm not giving any cars to Leslie because she's mean to me."
"Why is she mean to you?"
"I don't know. She just doesn't play with me so I don't like her."
"Did you think maybe she's jealous because you play sometimes with Rebecca?"
As Ian's hands are occupied, he wipes his nose with the side of his windbreakered sleeve and thinks about this. "No. Why is she jealous?"
"Because Rebecca is her friend, too, and maybe she doesn't like when Rebecca plays with you."
Ian's walk slows. The concept of female jealousy is clearly jolting to him.
"Ian, why don't you play with Leslie today? Maybe it will make her feel better."
"Yeah, but then that will make Rebecca jealous."
The man has a point. I'm encouraged that my son is such a quick learner, but all I can do when I leave him at the door of his classroom is pat him on the head and wish him luck. As I head for the exit, he approaches Rebecca with his stash of cars. She looks unimpressed. I can see Leslie, however, on the other side of the classroom sharpening her daggers...
And to think it's just the beginning of all of the female wonders! Good luck Ian!
ReplyDelete