Our babysitter tore a muscle in her shoulder last week. Ian wanted to know all about it.
"Mom? What's wrong with Alma?"
"She hurt her shoulder. So today, I'll pick you up from school so she can rest."
"Where will she rest?"
"She'll go to her apartment. She needs to rest, to do quiet things."
"Oh, like when Papa hurt his ear?"
My husband recently had surgery on his ear and so the boys now reference all "boo-boos" back to the one their father had.
"Yes, Papa had to do quiet things."
"Mom, when you hurt yourself, you have to do quiet things. Like watch Scooby-Doo."
"Sure, that's one thing you can do."
"Mom?"
I knew where this was going. "Yes?"
"I think I hurt myself this morning. I think I need to do quiet things after you pick me up."
"Sure. We can play your Memory game."
"No, Mom. Something quiet."
"OK, how about read one of your books?"
"No, Mom. Something quieter."
"OK, then you can take a very, very long nap and let Mommy have some peace and quiet."
Ian walked a few steps, silent, considering his position.
"Mom?"
"Yes?"
"I think I'm feeling better."
Ha, ha! That one made me smile! Guess you weren't into an afternoon of Scooby Doo, eh? "If only it hadn't been for that dog and those darn kids!" ;o) Ahh, memories...
ReplyDeleteNothing can get quieter than a nap! Too bad the kids don't always fall for it!
ReplyDelete